The Coalition, Inc. has partnered with the Angelina County Sheriff’s Department in an effort to prevent and reduce the harmful use of tobacco products in rural areas like East Texas, where tobacco-related health problems are more prevalent.
The Angelina County Sheriff’s Department targeted area businesses that sell tobacco. The age limit to purchase tobacco products, including e-cigarettes, is now 21, per the new guidelines from the U.S. Food & Drug Administration (FDA). Out of the 137 attempts done in June, July and August, 12 citations were issued to the following businesses that sold tobacco products, including e-cigarettes, to minors.
The businesses that sold tobacco products to minors include:
· Dollar General Store #14852 on 1401 Kurth Dr in Lufkin;
· Big’s 3850 on 3019 John Reddit Dr in Lufkin;
· Just Smoke Vape and Smoke Center on 210 N Temple Dr, Ste A in Diboll;
· Just Stop on 605 N Temple Dr in Diboll;
· Dollar General Store #21692 on 6953 US Hwy 69 S in Lufkin;
· Big’s 3817 on 3122 Atkinson Dr in Lufkin;
· Uday #29 on 3008 Atkinson Dr in Lufkin;
· Big’s 3806 on 1902 W Frank Ave in Lufkin;
· Dollar General Store #692 on 522 S Chestnut #C in Lufkin;
· Guru Trading on 2215 E Denman in Lufkin;
· On the Road #101 on 1001 E Denman in Lufkin;
· Brookshire Brothers #5 on 816 N Timberland in Lufkin.
We commend those businesses who did not sell tobacco products to minors in our community. The Coalition and the Angelina County Sheriff’s Department thank all of these stores for protecting the youth of Angelina County from the dangers of tobacco and nicotine. For a complete list of those businesses that were under compliance, please visit The Coalition’s Facebook page @thecoalition936 or contact The Coalition at (936) 634-9308 for more information.