In an effort to decrease the dangers and consequences of alcohol purchased by minors in our county, The Coalition, Inc. has partnered with the Angelina County Sheriff’s Department and the Texas Alcohol and Beverage Commission (TABC) to conduct alcohol stings. Under the direct supervision of law enforcement officers, juveniles under the legal age to drink/purchase alcohol are used as decoys to enter businesses that are licensed to sell alcohol and then attempt to purchase alcohol.
"The ultimate goal is to protect the youth of Angelina County from underage drinking, which is proven to increase the risk of sexual assault and impaired driving," said Sharon Kruk, Executive Director of The Coalition, Inc. "We are grateful for the local retailers who train their employees on responsible beverage service and correct alcohol sales. It’s up to all of us to work together to protect our youth from the consequences of underage drinking.”
During the December and January minor sting operations, there were 22 businesses who did not sell to minors and 8 businesses who did. We commend those stores who did not sell alcohol to minors in our community and recognize them for helping to combat underage drinking.
The businesses that DID NOT SELL alcohol products to minors include:
· Walgreens, 102 North Timberland Drive;
· Timberland Chevron, 804 North Timberland Drive
· Brookshire Brothers, 816 North Timberland Drive;
· Family Dollar Store, 419 North Timberland Drive;
· Gas N Go, 401 North Timberland Drive;
· HEB, 111 North Timberland Drive;
· Herraduras Mexican Fire & Grill, 3049 South John Reditt Drive;
· Big’s, 3019 South John Redditt Drive;
· Kwick Korner Food Marth, 203 South Timberland Drive;
· Brookshire Brothers, 301 South Chestnut;
· On the Road, 1001 East Denman Avenue;
· Big’s, 1203 South Chestnut Drive;
· JR Food Mart, 1114 East Denman Avenue;
· Uday, 612 West Frank Street;
· Guacomole’s Mexican Grill & Cantina, 2660 Ted Trout Drive;
· Family Dollar Store, 5104 Ted Trout Drive;
· Brookshire Brothers, 5750 Ted Trout Drive;
· Brookshire Brothers, 6564 Ted Trout Drive;
· Adeel’s, 125 South FM 1194;
· Lucky’s, 3385 Ted Trout Drive;
· Dollar General, 2205 Old Union Road;
· Brookshire Brothers, 1807 West Frank Street.
The businesses that SOLD alcohol products to minors include:
· Big’s, 1910 North Timberland Drive;
· Big’s, 612 South Timberland Drive;
· Walgreens, 1000 West Frank Street;
· Big’s, 1902 West Frank Street;
· Lucky’s, 1707 North John Redditt Drive;
· Big’s, 103 North John Redditt Drive;
· West Loop Chevron, 904 South John Redditt Drive;
· Big’s, 1004 South John Redditt Drive.
Sale to a minor is a class A misdemeanor, punishable by a fine up to $4,000, confinement up to a year in jail, or both. Persons 21 or older (other than a parent or guardian) can be held liable for damages caused by intoxication of a minor under 18 if the adult knowingly provided alcoholic beverages to a minor or knowingly allowed the minor to be served or provided alcohol beverages on the premises owned by or leased by the adult.
Since 1988, The Coalition has focused on eliminating the use of harmful substances by affecting public policy, laws, attitudes and behaviors, all in an effort to foster healthy life-long choices for the local community. For more information on how to help prevent underage drinking, contact The Coalition at 936-634-9308.